Too early to use P.E. in e-mail signature?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pez309

Reaction score
:bananapowerslide: I just passed the PE in New Jersey (notification via NCEES's website). Can I add P.E. to the signature line of my work e-mail or do I have to wait until I go through the process of paying the license fee, getting a license number, etc.? Obviously, I can't sign off on anything yet (no embossed seal or license number yet.)

Wait til you get the number. Youve just passed the exam but have not completed the rest of the process. The wait for the rest of it is nothing compared to waiting for exam results.

I definitely will. Tmrw i am getting my PE number from the TX board (David from TBPE sent an email that the roster will be updated tmrw).

Last edited by a moderator:
i know i will have my new signature tomorrow, but NC has already assigned license numbers, so i'm as official as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to order my stamp, then send a stamped form back to the board. I considered myself "official" after that.

:D

Congrats to all recent passers!

Congrats to all that have passed.

Please do not use P.E. in your signature line until you have received your license from the board. It may just be another step but it is am important step. You are NOT a Professional Engineer until your state board says you are. You could pass every exam from here to mars and if your board finds something wrong in your application you are NOT a P.E.

The best bet right now would be to contact your state board and ask them. If you passed don't be in too much of a rush right now...you have your whole career ahead of you.

Here's how Texas TBPE answered that question:

Re: Texas PE Exam results are now available.
For those that passed David, can we officially use the title PE in our

signature or do we have to wait to finalize the paperwork first?

Yes. As soon as your number is issued, you are licensed, but there are still

some things to do. You'll need to have a seal made. If you haven't received it

already, you'll get another email from the TBPE for that.

By the way, the roster should be updated tomorrow.
The roster has been updated, I found my name and 'new' PE number in there. Woot. :)

:bananapowerslide: I just passed the PE in New Jersey (notification via NCEES's website). Can I add P.E. to the signature line of my work e-mail or do I have to wait until I go through the process of paying the license fee, getting a license number, etc.? Obviously, I can't sign off on anything yet (no embossed seal or license number yet.)
Not in NJ. Until you get your # from the state you simply have just passed a test. Have you submitted your take home test yet? They will review your experience and such after they get the test results. My friend in NJ passed the april test and it wasn't until the end of August that he was officially a PE in NJs eyes.

Simple answer: If you have a valid license number, you can use the title. Otherwise, you should not. In general, if I can look you up on your state website and see that you're a registered PE then you are good to go. It's an ethics issue.

Congrats to all that have passed.
Please do not use P.E. in your signature line until you have received your license from the board. It may just be another step but it is am important step. You are NOT a Professional Engineer until your state board says you are. You could pass every exam from here to mars and if your board finds something wrong in your application you are NOT a P.E.

The best bet right now would be to contact your state board and ask them. If you passed don't be in too much of a rush right now...you have your whole career ahead of you.
Yeah but you want to get your application in before the 10 year period is up otherwise you have to take the exam again. At least that is the requirement in Michigan. It's not like I'm going to wait 10 years though.

I added it to my email sig after my number was posted by the state. Advise waiting until then.

How many states have you apply or send in paperwork AFTER the exam? In Florida, there's so much paperwork before that I think there are few things we need to do after the exam rather than wait. I read the pass flyer and it looks like we just need to wait another 8 to 10 weeks, then it's final.

I would advise against signing and sealing plans without an actual number, etc.....but really, an email signature? go for it.

it's not misrepresentation, you were cleared to take the test, so you met the minimum quals and you passed....

answer me this - if you are unemployed and recently passed the PE, are you allowed to have your name at the top as John Doe, PE......or do you need to wait on the results from the State?

I changed my email signature as soon as I saw my pass letter on NCEES. According to the letter I don't have to do anything in Washington except wait for them to mail me my certificate.

answer me this - if you are unemployed and recently passed the PE, are you allowed to have your name at the top as John Doe, PE......or do you need to wait on the results from the State?
To cover your bases, I would still say John Doe, EI but then add below that a PE is pending final state board approval and that you have passed the exam (and put the exam date). Additionally, I would put in the cover letter a more thorough explaination on the pending PE.

I would NOT put PE on my resume unless I had at least a license # because most employers verify this data, and typically on a resume you list registrations (like Colorado, PE#, Exp date).

To cover your bases, I would still say John Doe, EI but then add below that a PE is pending final state board approval and that you have passed the exam (and put the exam date). Additionally, I would put in the cover letter a more thorough explaination on the pending PE.

I would NOT put PE on my resume unless I had at least a license # because most employers verify this data, and typically on a resume you list registrations (like Colorado, PE#, Exp date).
****! I should have done this for the past 4 years! John Doe, EI (PE pending passing the PE exam Oct 2010). haha just kidding... :eek:ld-025:

Back