Fastest State to Transfer PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends. I know a guy that was trying to transfer to another state but in the process wanted to change his name(was trying to avoid paying alimony). That made the process very very very very long. As a matter of fact he is still in a cold place.

But, answering your question, I have no idea.

That depends. I know a guy that was trying to transfer to another state but in the process wanted to change his name(was trying to avoid paying alimony). That made the process very very very very long. As a matter of fact he is still in a cold place.
But, answering your question, I have no idea.
Glad to see the system works.

Awww, come on folks. Can somebody answer at least one of this guy's questions? I would, but I've never transferred a license. :poop:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, if you're already a PE in state X and a job posted in state Y requires you to be a PE, can you apply to the job stating that you're a PE in state X and will apply for a PE in state Y via comity or will employers not look at you unless you're currently licensed in state Y already?

Just out of curiosity, if you're already a PE in state X and a job posted in state Y requires you to be a PE, can you apply to the job stating that you're a PE in state X and will apply for a PE in state Y via comity or will employers not look at you unless you're currently licensed in state Y already?
Every listing I have ever seen that required a PE said "Is a licensed engineer in "State X" or has the ability to become licensed with in Y days". If you have an NCEES Record, it makes the process infinitely easier and quicker, so that may be an incentive for the company to hire you over somebody without a record.

I asked this question for reasons, I called NYS this morning and they say "if I pass the PE" they wont give the license unless I have these.

1. 2 years US Civil Engineering expereince

2. green card or permanent resident in the US

my situation, I took the PE in Canada, they say even if "I can pass the PE" the NYS wont release the license if those two cant be done... :(

That is why I'm asking.

I asked this question for reasons, I called NYS this morning and they say "if I pass the PE" they wont give the license unless I have these.

my situation, I took the PE in Canada, they say even if "I can pass the PE" the NYS wont release the license if those two cant be done... :(

That is why I'm asking.
Did you take the actual PE exam or did you get your P.Eng. in Canada?

If you took the NCEES exam, then that score should be portable to other states to gain licensure as long as you meet their experience and education requirements. I'm not sure how it will work if you have passed the exam, but are not currently licensed in your home state. I know that precludes you from getting an NCEES Record and/or applying for comity in other states. But that is a question for state boards.

That is why I'm asking.
Did you take the actual PE exam or did you get your P.Eng. in Canada?

If you took the NCEES exam, then that score should be portable to other states to gain licensure as long as you meet their experience and education requirements. I'm not sure how it will work if you have passed the exam, but are not currently licensed in your home state. I know that precludes you from getting an NCEES Record and/or applying for comity in other states. But that is a question for state boards.
I took the actual PE exam last Oct 2010 in Canada, I have an NYS application for PE.

Ok I will look at that NCEES record, I dont have any clue what is that.

I did looked at the NCEES website, I think I have to pass PE before getting an NCEES record.
Yes, you do. And I'm fairly certain that you have to be licensed in your home state before getting it too.

That's what I was trying to say before. I'm not sure if it's possible to use your exam results to get licensure in another state with just your exam results, school transcripts, and experience without already having a license in your home state.

I hate to say it, but this is something you should have researched before you applied in New York.

I did looked at the NCEES website, I think I have to pass PE before getting an NCEES record.
Yes, you do. And I'm fairly certain that you have to be licensed in your home state before getting it too.

That's what I was trying to say before. I'm not sure if it's possible to use your exam results to get licensure in another state with just your exam results, school transcripts, and experience without already having a license in your home state.

I hate to say it, but this is something you should have researched before you applied in New York.
wilhelp,

what if I dont have a home state, Im Canadian. So, what state can I transfer the PE easily if I pass it? Or will any state accept the PE except NY if I passed it through NCEES License Record? Will you suggest West Virginia then, if so are there lots of jobs for Civil there?

Last edited by a moderator:
wilhelp,
what if I dont have a home state, Im Canadian. So, what state can I transfer the PE easily if I pass it? Or will any state accept the PE except NY if I passed it through NCEES License Record? Will you suggest West Virginia then, if so are there lots of jobs for Civil there?
Your home state is where you applied to take the exam. I don't know if it's the language barrier (I assume you are French Canadian) or I'm just not explaining it well enough, but here goes. You can only get an NCEES Record if you are a licensed engineer. If you applied to take the exam in New York, and you don't meet all of the requirements for licensure, then you will NOT be a licensed engineer. I do not know the procedure for applying for a license in another state if you meet all of their requirements for licensure (i.e., you have passed the FE and PE, you have an ABET accredited degree, and sufficient experience to meet their criteria) IF you do not already have a license somewhere else. Your exam results will be sent to, and stored by, New Yorks Board of Licensure. They are the only people that can send that information to another state. I don't know if they will be willing to send this information for you if you don't get your license from them.

The answer is...you need to talk to both the New York State Board of Licensure about whether or not they will transfer your score on the PE to another state even if you don't get your license there (assuming you pass the exam). Then, you need to find another state where you do meet the requirements, and have your scores, transcripts, and work history sent to that state.

wilhelp,
Your home state is where you applied to take the exam. I don't know if it's the language barrier (I assume you are French Canadian) or I'm just not explaining it well enough, but here goes. You can only get an NCEES Record if you are a licensed engineer. If you applied to take the exam in New York, and you don't meet all of the requirements for licensure, then you will NOT be a licensed engineer. I do not know the procedure for applying for a license in another state if you meet all of their requirements for licensure (i.e., you have passed the FE and PE, you have an ABET accredited degree, and sufficient experience to meet their criteria) IF you do not already have a license somewhere else. Your exam results will be sent to, and stored by, New Yorks Board of Licensure. They are the only people that can send that information to another state. I don't know if they will be willing to send this information for you if you don't get your license from them.

The answer is...you need to talk to both the New York State Board of Licensure about whether or not they will transfer your score on the PE to another state even if you don't get your license there (assuming you pass the exam). Then, you need to find another state where you do meet the requirements, and have your scores, transcripts, and work history sent to that state.

thanks wil.

I see many P.Eng's working in NYC all of the time.

I don't think it really matters if they are licensed or not. It may simply depend on your employer and if they have someone with a PE in NY.

I don't think it really matters if they are licensed or not. It may simply depend on your employer and if they have someone with a PE in NY.
I think that Steel Man wants to be a full-fledged, American PE, and has completed the requirements for most states (assuming he passed the exam). He just made the mistake of applying to take the exam in New York which has all kinds of extra requirements, and are just a general PITA when it comes to licensing. If he can get the exam results transferred to another state, it shouldn't be an issue getting licensed. But NY might be reluctant to transfer the scores without granting him a license first.

I think that Steel Man wants to be a full-fledged, American PE, and has completed the requirements for most states (assuming he passed the exam). He just made the mistake of applying to take the exam in New York which has all kinds of extra requirements, and are just a general PITA when it comes to licensing. If he can get the exam results transferred to another state, it shouldn't be an issue getting licensed. But NY might be reluctant to transfer the scores without granting him a license first.
Don't you need to pass the EIT in a US state prior to taking the PE?

Just take the PE in the same state you took the EIT.

Back