Level of math of the PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zbest1966

Reaction score
:mf_followthroughfart:I have been out of school for awhile need to refresh my math skill. Whats the expected level of math skills for the PE

Mostly algebra. You wont need to derive anything or do PDEs.

you are only allowed a scientific calculator, so if it is more difficult than that you are pretty safe it is not test worthy.

I think the math required to do this problems is all you should worry about, not specific math equations. If you can do your practice problems; you can do the math req'd to pass the PE.

YMMV.

Off topic for a sec - likin' the avatar dustin! Gotta love engineering humor....

Dont EE's use j instead of i?
In general I'd say you are correct, but we can use both, depending on what the subject is. Generally, if you are in a subject area (like power) where you are likely to see i used a lot for current, you will use j for the imaginary number. But if you are doing work in other areas, it may not be as important. There can also be confusion because J can mean current density, although I think they generlly use capital J for that.

So it depends on the context to figure out what it means.

But I guess you are correct, in which case dustin's avatar would mean "old school-" or "not current".

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont EE's use j instead of i?
In general I'd say you are correct, but we can use both, depending on what the subject is. Generally, if you are in a subject area (like power) where you are likely to see i used a lot for current, you will use j for the imaginary number. But if you are doing work in other areas, it may not be as important. There can also be confusion because J can mean current density, although I think they generlly use capital J for that.

So it depends on the context to figure out what it means.

But I guess you are correct, in which case dustin's avatar would mean "old school-" or "not current".
I'm reavealing my nerdyness here... but I've used that on other boards, and only EEs would get it if I used j. This way we all can share in the fun. :multiplespotting:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back