Easiest State to pass PE EXam in?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the best and easiest state to pass the PE exam in.... I've had it with my state board and am considering applying in another state to sit for the exam. I've heard Nevada and Arkansas are easy. Is there any truth to this?????????

What is the best and easiest state to pass the PE exam in.... I've had it with my state board and am considering applying in another state to sit for the exam. I've heard Nevada and Arkansas are easy. Is there any truth to this?????????
I believe the exam is the same regardless of your state. The licensing requirements vary (ie work experience, references, etc) depending on state.

I believe the exam is the same regardless of your state. The licensing requirements vary (ie work experience, references, etc) depending on state.
Correct. The only way to know the requirements for each state to sit for the exam is to either ask, or peruse their website. Once you are approved to sit, you will be taking the same exam as everybody else.

I know several people from NJ that have opted to take the PE in DE or CT because they aren't generally as critical on experience, but I really think it is more a matter of how you present your experience than one state or another being easier to get approved in... just my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Military friendly state Georgia! It is.
They give you extra 5 points to your score. If you are eligible for veteran's preference points.

Join the military and have yourself ship to war zone for at least 90 days.

http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/faqs/09%20faqs.htm#Q. How does the NCEES
So if you get a 65 + 5 in Georgia I guess that means you can't apply for license in other states since you wouldn't have passed otherwise?

correct. in general I think its a bad idea because 8 years down the road you may have a need to move to another state and then your basically screwed and would have to take the test and pass it...'

I'm in Georgia, and a veteran but I didnt check the veteran status because I didnt want to have to worry about it later... also not everyone gets the full 5 points, I have known some people who qualify for only 1 point, etc they assign them based on active duty time during war time / zone.. (I think...)

but the actual exam is the same state to state..

Personally, I think I would rather study a little harder than spend no less than 90 days in a war zone.....
The way its worded is you just have to serve 90+ days during a time of war, not in a war zone. That's everyone who's been in since 2001, even if you haven't deployed.

Personally, I think I would rather study a little harder than spend no less than 90 days in a war zone.....
The way its worded is you just have to serve 90+ days during a time of war, not in a war zone. That's everyone who's been in since 2001, even if you haven't deployed.
Still pretty sure I'd rather study a few extra hours.... If you passed the test only becuase of the extra points, is it noted on your record? Would other states know that you didn't technically pass the exam? Since the exam is pass/fail in most states and no score is provided, I would think that it would just show that you passed...

Still pretty sure I'd rather study a few extra hours.... If you passed the test only becuase of the extra points, is it noted on your record? Would other states know that you didn't technically pass the exam? Since the exam is pass/fail in most states and no score is provided, I would think that it would just show that you passed...
I believe it does show up if you try for license in other states, which will do more harm than good to get the 5 points. I think getting 5 points for serving the country is simply stupid for this exam. Why not reward the vets a different way, maybe reduced fees to take the exam, or reduced renewal fees, or even waive those fees?

I think some states easier than others in terms of their passing score which depends on the demand of the state for registered Engineers vs. the number of examinees every year but anyways this difference is very small 1-2% So I second the opinion if you study little harder you will pass the exam with any state.

I just applied for a license by comity in West Virginia, and they have a form that your home state board has to fill out. It has an entry on there for raw exam score and any adjustments made to the score. I think that is where the Georgia military adjustment would show up, and might keep you from getting the license in another state.

I think some states easier than others in terms of their passing score which depends on the demand of the state for registered Engineers vs. the number of examinees every year but anyways this difference is very small 1-2% So I second the opinion if you study little harder you will pass the exam with any state.
That's a pretty bold statement. Do you have any proof that this is done?

Here's what ncees says on their website:

NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way.

That's a pretty bold statement. Do you have any proof that this is done?

Here's what ncees says on their website:

NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way.
Do states determine the cut score or NCEES?

I agree with the poster a few above who recommended reducing the fees instead. As active duty myself, I dont think it's fair to lower the standard that is set for the exam just because of military service. However, I'd love to have the impact on my wallet be a little less for a license that I dont need for my military career. I added it all up and so far I'm in for about $730 between exam fees, study materials, and a hotel for the night before.

I would tend to say "Calm Mental State" Now, what highway you take to get there, don't ask me! I haven't been there is years ...

This is how I understand it:

Technically, the states determine the cut score, but since the state boards are all affiliated in one way or the other witrh NCEES, and need to arrange for comity, they all accept the NCEES cot score (with the exception of Georgia and maybe a handful of other places that give extra credit to veterans).

That's what I've read every time I read anything authoritative on this.

Some states require less experince - in CA you can take it with an MS and one year experience.

This is how I understand it:

Technically, the states determine the cut score, but since the state boards are all affiliated in one way or the other witrh NCEES, and need to arrange for comity, they all accept the NCEES cot score (with the exception of Georgia and maybe a handful of other places that give extra credit to veterans).

That's what I've read every time I read anything authoritative on this.

Some states require less experince - in CA you can take it with an MS and one year experience.

But you also have to take 2 other CA special exams (seismic and surveying), and cannot get your PE license until you pass all 3.

But you also have to take 2 other CA special exams (seismic and surveying), and cannot get your PE license until you pass all 3.
Yes, that's true. If you want a Civil license. For other disciplines, just one exam

I believe it does show up if you try for license in other states, which will do more harm than good to get the 5 points. I think getting 5 points for serving the country is simply stupid for this exam. Why not reward the vets a different way, maybe reduced fees to take the exam, or reduced renewal fees, or even waive those fees?
Maybe just give them the "PE" title without the right to stamp engineering work.

for lack of professional knowledge and given right circumstances, those vet. can kill as many people as they could in the battlefield.

Back