Take home examination - CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbinla

Reaction score
On the take home examination, there is a place for your name and ssn and also "ID". What information is suppose to go on this line?

Last edited by a moderator:
VT - I'm guessing they're talking about the CA take home exam.

For branch put in your test discipline (ie civil, mechanical, whatever)

For ID, I just put the number that CA gave me on the self addressed cards.

On the take home examination, there is a place for your name and ssn and also "ID". What information is suppose to go on this line?

lol. I had the same question. Just leave it blank, or write "unknown". Upon filling out the application for the first time, you won't yet have a state ID number. After you apply, and receive back your postcard, your ID No. will be on there. It will be a 5-digit number (as opposed to the 10 digit NCEES number). The form should be more clear.

lol. I had the same question. Just leave it blank, or write "unknown". Upon filling out the application for the first time, you won't yet have a state ID number. After you apply, and receive back your postcard, your ID No. will be on there. It will be a 5-digit number (as opposed to the 10 digit NCEES number). The form should be more clear.

I called the board about this. You're supposed to leave it Blank.

California has a take home PE exam or is it a supplement exam to PE like seismic or survey?

California has a take home PE exam or is it a supplement exam to PE like seismic or survey?
It's actually considered a 4th exam. It's a test you take at home and mail in with your application. It's based on the Professional Engineer's Act and the Board Rules. There are 25 questions and you must get at least 70% correct. If you don't get 70% the CA State Board will still process your application and allow you to sit for the PE Exam, but you will need to pass the take-home test before you get your PE Registration.

Link, if interested.

It's actually pretty time consuming and I felt a bit iffy on a good 4-5 of them. It's kind of a bummer that the state never tells you that you passed (at least I never heard anything). I have to just assume I passed or else I would have been told to re-take the take-home test. ?

I see. I did that ethics portion of the exam already for Texas when I submitted my application. I do agree it is time consuming

It's actually considered a 4th exam. It's a test you take at home and mail in with your application. It's based on the Professional Engineer's Act and the Board Rules. There are 25 questions and you must get at least 70% correct. If you don't get 70% the CA State Board will still process your application and allow you to sit for the PE Exam, but you will need to pass the take-home test before you get your PE Registration.

Link, if interested.

It's actually pretty time consuming and I felt a bit iffy on a good 4-5 of them. It's kind of a bummer that the state never tells you that you passed (at least I never heard anything). I have to just assume I passed or else I would have been told to re-take the take-home test. ?
I'm pretty sure they'll tell you if you failed. I cant remember who it was but someone else said they failed and they resubmitted.

I could not pass the home exam.

Please assist me how can I pass it.

How many times I can retake it?

I could not pass the home exam.

Please assist me how can I pass it.

How many times I can retake it?
Take it seriously.  It's not a joke.  It's time consuming but not overly hard.  Almost all of the answers to the test can be found in the two documents it tests on - the Board Rules and the Engineer's Act.  http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/takehome_exams.shtml  You can take it more than once but let's make it no more than twice, ok?  ;)    You probably sent in your first exam answers along with your application.  Not passing on your first try won't slow you down, you can still move forward with the other exams (assuming your application was otherwise accepted).  You basically just need to have passed the take-home exam by the time you pass the other three exams (National, CA-Seismic, CA-Survey).  But, to get it out of the way, as soon as you can retake the take-home exam and send in your answers.  You can do so anytime.  Good luck. 

Can I take the home exam, when I take the PE exam, because I don't want wast my time.

Can I take the home exam, when I take the PE exam, because I don't want wast my time.
I have no idea what this means.  Between this post and your PM to me asking me for the answers, I don't think we can help you any more.  Best of luck to you. 

Yes, this is a splendid idea.  So that you don't waste your time taking the take-home exam at, well, home, you should bring it with you to the 8hr NCEES exam and use part of your 8 hours to work on the take-home exam there.  Knock out two different exams in 8 hours.  Brilliant. 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, Math said: Can I take the home exam, when I take the PE exam, because I don't want wast my time.
Yes, this is a splendid idea.  So that you don't waste your time taking the take-home exam at, well, home, you should bring it with you to the 8hr NCEES exam and use part of your 8 hours to work on the take-home exam there.  Knock out two different exams in 8 hours.  Brilliant. 
I think the PE test should be a take home exam, they could even throw in the questions from the laws and rules test that various states take.

Back