when can I take the PE exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riceman

Reaction score
If I get my masters degree in a year while working 20 hrs a week (assistant/intern engineer), will I have the experience required to take the PE exam? or do I need 2 years of non overlapping experience? got EIT and BS Civil Engineering all that good stuff. thanks!!

If I get my masters degree in a year while working 20 hrs a week (assistant/intern engineer), will I have the experience required to take the PE exam? or do I need 2 years of non overlapping experience? got EIT and BS Civil Engineering all that good stuff. thanks!!
Send required documents to NCEES and wait for approval. The answer from them would be the most trustful and correct. I don't believe that any of us could tell you for sure if you can or not to get an approval to take PE exam.

Riceman,

You need 1 year of full time experience after you earn your Masters degree. Any experience before that won’t help, especially interning. You need experience as an engineer. What state are you applying in? California?

Contact your state board since every state is different and some will not count concurrent work time if you are in school full time and claiming that as time.

Contact your state board since every state is different and some will not count concurrent work time if you are in school full time and claiming that as time.
Definately check with your local board. here in NC I worked full time (45 hr weeks) while getting my masters in the evenings and they wouldn't count any of the concurrent time.

Frustrating, but they rationalized it by saying ' you can't pick up a second job, work an additional 40 hours a week and take the exam in 2 years, so you shouldn't be able to do it with a masters degree.'

I think the reason they give you a year of credit for a masters degree is so you aren't punished (too much) for staying in school to get a masters while others are working and earning credit towards the PE.

It's definately something that is frustrating but I can see both sides of....

wow that sucks. But how many hours a week do you have to work to constitute as continuing engineering experience?

If your work is at the level requried, I don't think it matters.

And you will only need one year anyway, if you have a masters.

I guess another similar point would be that if I work 80 hours a week, then why shouldn't I be able to take the exam in two years instead of 4 :)

Of course, as I learned as a cook during college, cooking potatoes at 800 degrees for 30 minutes does not equal cooking them at 400 degrees for an hour!

Andy

PE Exam Advice

Probably not, most states do not allow for an overlap in the experience required.

But your Masters may take a year off the time required.

Visit your state local board and read the by-laws. I've placed all the links to the various boards here:

http://www.wikiengineer.com/Engineering/PE...LicensingBoards

One thing I've discovered when signing up for licenses in different states is that state websites are often as confusing as possible and the only place you'll find your answer is reading the state laws & regulations (which should be linked to from the state board website).

Back