Name on Stamp

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcengineer

Sharp as a piece of beach glass
Reaction score
I'm going to order my stamp today. I'm going with the self-inking in black. What's the concensus, middle name or initial??

Thoughts on the color and initial are most welcome.

I'm going to order my stamp today. I'm going with the self-inking in black. What's the concensus, middle name or initial??
Thoughts on the color and initial are most welcome.
The name on your stamp needs to match your name as it is stated on your license. If you state knows you as Bill P. Bill, then you stamp needs to read Bill P. Bill, not Bill Pete Bill.

Black is nice, but I also like red.

I have my name on my stamp as I sign it. Also, I sign everything in blue ink, and have my stamp in blue ink. That way, I know if someone has an original report (or plans), as opposed to copying it.

Thanks - The state has me listed with middle initial and that's how I sign, so I'll go that route. Black seal with blue signature.

I like red and sign with black. Blue with a black signature seems to be popular as well. I say go with the initial... esp if a state requires you to sign every sheet!

The name on your stamp needs to match your name as it is stated on your license. If you state knows you as Bill P. Bill, then you stamp needs to read Bill P. Bill, not Bill Pete Bill.
Interesting -- I guess that must vary by state. In Alabama, I called with this specific question, and they said initial or full name...my choice. YMMV, of course, but it may be worth a call to your state board...

I have my middle initial on my stamp, but I never put my middle initial or name in my signature.
I would like to know is Where is the best place to order online???

Secondly - I am one of the californians still waiting for my results - how do you know the expiration date to put on your stamp??

^ i prefer the "best if used by xxx" statement on my stamp - saves alot on contract indemnification language too

Last edited by a moderator:
^ i prefer the "best if used by xxx" statement on my stamp - saves alot on contract indemnification language too
Please clarify.......don't get it at all....
Sorry - I don't know CA stuff, most stamps don't state the expiration date. I guess when you actually get your state issued license, you would use the date of expiration stated on the paper license. Try this website: http://www.engineerseals.com/engineer-seals.php for seals. Good luck -

THe CA license expires every two years. If you stamp a lot of stuff it might be worth your while to get one with the expiration date and replace it ever two years. Otherwise, just get the version without the date and write it in.

http://www.engineerseals.com/order/californiape.php

Also, I think your first license expires after six months, so you may want to think about that. Not sure however.

They will tell you the first expiration date.

Anybody know what the deal is in California? On page 10 of the Board Rules, it says that we can use either our initial or full name as long as the entire last name is there.

It also says that the expiration date is no longer required as of July 9, 2010? Not required at all (no space necessary for it to be written in even).

Haven't heard anything about this anywhere else on the forums and was wondering. I've contacted the Board and haven't heard back yet.

Anybody know what the deal is in California? On page 10 of the Board Rules, it says that we can use either our initial or full name as long as the entire last name is there.
It also says that the expiration date is no longer required as of July 9, 2010? Not required at all (no space necessary for it to be written in even).

Haven't heard anything about this anywhere else on the forums and was wondering. I've contacted the Board and haven't heard back yet.
Subhanster, please let us know as soon as you find out from the Board. It would be nice to use one stamp for the rest of our lives rather than ordering every 2 years with a different expiration date.

Subhanster, please let us know as soon as you find out from the Board. It would be nice to use one stamp for the rest of our lives rather than ordering every 2 years with a different expiration date.
It is my understanding that expiration date is no longer required. There is also mention of it in the April, 2009 meeting minutes.

^^ That's correct.

No exp. date is required, but you can of course still put one in if you wish.

Back