Geotechnical Book

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Other than the CERM, what would be the best geotechnical book to use as a reference? I don't intend on taking the afternoon geotechnical portion, but if the morning session had specific terms or procedures, what would be the best book?

Principles of Geotechnical Engineering

by Braja M. Das

I bought the 5th edition back in school, but it's probably not the most current. Combined with the CERM, you should be set for the morning portion. At least that's what I'm telling myself so that I don't have to drop $$$ on another book. :smileyballs:

By the way, the book has examples in both SI and US Customary units.

I would suggest these books in order of importance in my opinion:

Principles of Foundation Engineering 5th Edition

by Braja M. Das (I believe this is a must have, I believe you can find a good used one for $45-75)

Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM)

By Michael Lindeburg ( I used the 8th Edition, If I had to do it over I would splurge for a new one, it is must have for the breath & depth even though the geo part is limited)

Six Minute Solutions for Geotechnical

(Most of the problems can be solved using Das and Lindeburg's CERM)

NCEES Civil Engineering Sample Exam 2008 edition (A must have)

Principles of Geotechnical Engineering 5th Edition

by Braja M. Das (Covers some basics the Principles Of Foundation Engineering doesn't, I bought mine used for $35 from Barnes and Noble)

Kaplan Civil Engineering Sample Exam 3rd edition 2008

(some different questions to work. I thought it was worth the price)

Soil Mechanics and Foundation Design: 201 Solved Problems

By Liiban Affi (It really isn't 201 questions as some were 5-6 part questions, he uses Terzhagi for foundations, a little different then the way CERM solves shallow foundation problems, but it was good practice, the expalnations al that detailed)

I also had a older Traffic & Highway Engineering text by Garber . It was helpful for some breath questions as well as some geotechnical questions such as heaving, asphalt, and some other obcure questions.

I also used an old book Statics and Strength of Materials 3rd Edition 1975

By Jensen and Chenoweth (for me this was helpful for the morning structural)

On the test in the afternoon I used the CERM, Das' Foundation Engineering, and the Traffic & Highway Engineering mostly. I passed.

i hope this helps.

I would suggest these books in order of importance in my opinion:
Principles of Foundation Engineering 5th Edition

by Braja M. Das (I believe this is a must have, I believe you can find a good used one for $45-75)

Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM)

By Michael Lindeburg ( I used the 8th Edition, If I had to do it over I would splurge for a new one, it is must have for the breath & depth even though the geo part is limited)

Six Minute Solutions for Geotechnical

(Most of the problems can be solved using Das and Lindeburg's CERM)

NCEES Civil Engineering Sample Exam 2008 edition (A must have)

Principles of Geotechnical Engineering 5th Edition

by Braja M. Das (Covers some basics the Principles Of Foundation Engineering doesn't, I bought mine used for $35 from Barnes and Noble)

Kaplan Civil Engineering Sample Exam 3rd edition 2008

(some different questions to work. I thought it was worth the price)

Soil Mechanics and Foundation Design: 201 Solved Problems

By Liiban Affi (It really isn't 201 questions as some were 5-6 part questions, he uses Terzhagi for foundations, a little different then the way CERM solves shallow foundation problems, but it was good practice, the expalnations al that detailed)

I also had a older Traffic & Highway Engineering text by Garber . It was helpful for some breath questions as well as some geotechnical questions such as heaving, asphalt, and some other obcure questions.

I also used an old book Statics and Strength of Materials 3rd Edition 1975

By Jensen and Chenoweth (for me this was helpful for the morning structural)

On the test in the afternoon I used the CERM, Das' Foundation Engineering, and the Traffic & Highway Engineering mostly. I passed.

i hope this helps.
I'll be taking the Water/Env depth in October. I've never taken a Geotechnical course. For just the morning seciton of the exam, and considering my lack of knowledge of Geotech, which book would you recommend? Principles of Foundation Engineering by Das OR Principles of Foundation Engineering by Das?? Or another book all together?

Thanks!

Jen

I'll be taking the Water/Env depth in October. I've never taken a Geotechnical course. For just the morning seciton of the exam, and considering my lack of knowledge of Geotech, which book would you recommend? Principles of Foundation Engineering by Das OR Principles of Foundation Engineering by Das?? Or another book all together?
Thanks!

Jen
The Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM) is all you need for the morning exam, but buying a textbook wouldn't hurt. Principles of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M. Das would be a good book for you. It covers all of the basics and has examples in metric and SI units.

Thanks!

Jen
The Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM) is all you need for the morning exam, but buying a textbook wouldn't hurt. Principles of Geotechnical Engineering by Braja M. Das would be a good book for you. It covers all of the basics and has examples in metric and SI units.
Thanks Phalanx! When I see your name, it reminds me of x-men comic books I use to read. :)

Thanks!

Jen
Thanks Phalanx! When I see your name, it reminds me of x-men comic books I use to read. :)
As I've stated in other posts, I highly recommend Goswami's "Civil Engineering PE All-in-One Exam Guide" and it really is everything you need, plus the CERM, for the breadth exam. I wouldn't have passed without it.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Jen
As I've stated in other posts, I highly recommend Goswami's "Civil Engineering PE All-in-One Exam Guide" and it really is everything you need, plus the CERM, for the breadth exam. I wouldn't have passed without it.

Good luck!
What is there in Goswami's "Civil Engineering PE All-in-One Exam Guide" , that is not covered in CERM?

I do not think that you need more than CERM for morning section

Starting with October 2010, the Civil PE exam will require a prior commitment (on the application form) of your chosen depth (PM) exam. You will no longer receive a booklet with all five question sets. You will have to declare beforehand what you PM exam will be and that's the only booklet you will receive.

Thanks!

Jen

Good luck!
What is there in Goswami's "Civil Engineering PE All-in-One Exam Guide" , that is not covered in CERM?

I do not think that you need more than CERM for morning section

The Goswami textbook is less academic than the CERM and focuses on what you must understand in preparation for the exam. The sample problems are easy to follow and are what one would expect on the exam. The CERM is an overall reference book for all civil engineering topics so, as to no one's surprise, it covers more information than you need for the exam. The Goswami book boils down each topic in a concise and digestible manner and has proven to be an asset for those who've used this book during the exam. I passed the PE exam on the first try and this book came in handy for about 75% of the questions.

Back