Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for ruining it for me!!!!

Although the story seems pretty easy to figure out just based on the trailers. A lot of people's reviews seem to reflect that...visually it's amazing, story is ehhh.

I've heard arguments comparing Avatar to Fern Gully.

A co-worker who saw it said the story line is pretty played out: 2 battling factions, 1 person ends up on the other side, that person learns the "enemy's" policies aren't that bad and actually prefers them to his old way, the person returns to his original side to play advocate/peacemaker. Somewhere along the line a love interest is involved...

Even after she gave that description, she said it was well made, had great graphics, and would recommend others to see it.

And the Pixar movie CARS was known as Doc Hollywood the first time it came out too. The Pixar version is soooo much cooler.....

KACHOW !!!!

I think that's my problem with movies anymore. I guess I'm such an old fossil that I know every story line ever made, and there's nothing new to make a movie about. :eek:ld-025:

I also thought the "Awah" name for god was .... interesting. Sounded a lot like Allah, especially after your main antagonist (a white, english speaking general) said "the only way to fight terror is with more terror".

I haven't seen the flick in question, but the more you read and watch movies in your lifetime the more marginalized the movies you like are.

This is what a lot of movie and book critics love stuff the general population finds very un-entertaining. Case in point check out a movie called Goodbye Solo. It is a interesting story you probably have not heard, with interesting direction and good acting, critics loved it, but try finding 20 people in Ohio (or Florida etc) who find it interesting. Heck I liked it but no way would I A) pay $15 bucks to see it in IMAX or B) watch it again. There are a lot of movies that fall into this category. No Country For Old Men is one, that I still love, but I don't need to be kicked in the nuts by a movie so I really don't want to watch 3 times in the theater.

From all accounts Avatar isn't a original story, but is entertaining a bunch of people so Hollywood loves it. Plus if it has great appeal to children you can bet you will grab at least one parent so that ups your ticket sales.

I can't argue with a lot of the criticism, but I saw it in 3D and liked it enough that I didn't mind the $15 cost per ticket.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought it was fantastic entertainment. More fun thatn any movie I can remember in the last 10 years, at least.

But it ain't original.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought it was fantastic entertainment. More fun thatn any movie I can remember in the last 10 years, at least.
But it ain't original.
Basically this is the constant theme of people Iknow who have seen it...

The plot was rather predictable, but the 3D forest, effects, etc. were absolutely amazing. The theater was packed so I ended up closer then I would have liked, but it made the experience more VR. Highly recommend AVATAR if seen in 3D!

I didn't even get to see it in 3D, but I still thought it was great fun.

Back