Senior Member
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

19 Good


  • Rank
    Principal in Charge
  • Birthday

Previous Fields

  • Engineering Field
    Land Surveying
  • License
  • Calculator
  • Discipline
    Sorely Lacking

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

718 profile views
  1. Sure, as long as that reference is not certifying to supervising work experience.
  2. The required work experience must be gained under the supervision of an individual licensed in the branch of engineering for which the applicant is applying for or legally authorized in the jurisdiction where the work was performed. That means at least 1 of your professional references must have been in a supervisory role over your work. If all the experience can be covered under 1 reference, that's fine. If the experience is gained under more than 1 reference, that is fine. If you can cover the required experience with only 1, 2, or 3 references, the remaining 3, 2, or 1 references must be licensed or legally authorized and familiar with your work experience. If that is co-workers, that is fine. If that is other associates that are familiar with your work experience and can certify to your ability to be licensed, that is fine.
  3. Uh, not necessarily! If you don't have any civil engineering experience, you won't qualify for licensure in California. While your ME degree will probably not qualify towards a civil license, I suspect that much of your SE experience (whatever you have) would suffice as civil experience because structural engineering is considered civil engineering in California and not a separate branch of engineering. Hopefully, you have at least 6 years of experience that can be considered as civil engineering under the responsible charge of licensee(s) that are also appropriately licensed.
  4. In many states that offer SE license, it is not considered a "mastery" license or additional title authority like it is in California and it is considered just another branch of engineering. There are a half dozen or so states that require the foundation (no pun intended) PE or CE license first, but that's predominately on the west coast.
  5. I'd be happy to test you on state laws in states that you don't practice in.
  6. If the Board asks for more information and the timing of receiving that additional information works out, the Board can tell Prometric to schedule additional approved people. The end of March date is setup to ensure that approved candidates get a seat. Anyone approved after that date by the Board will still be allowed to schedule. The only difference is that after the end of March when and where the available seats are is limited due to other exams.
  7. Did it ever occur to you that Prometric is under contract with the California Board and the Board dictates to Prometric how and when to accept scheduling for the exam? It's completely understandable that you are anxious to find out and it is recognized that it would be better for everyone involved if you found out sooner. You will receive notice.
  8. Charles, If you intend to eventually apply for licensure in a state that allows the NCEES PE exam to be taken prior to applying with the licensing board and you have previously obtained your EIT (passed your FE Exam), you are free to register with NCEES (registration is now closed for April 2017) anytime registration is open and schedule a seat wherever NCEES has space open in your state. NCEES administers the national exams for the licensing member boards. California is one state that does currently allow for the exam to be passed prior to application for licensing. Comity DOES NOT apply in this situation. Now, there may be some states that process these sorts of applications under that process, but the definition of Comity implies initial licensure already obtained somewhere, You would just be satisfying your requirements in a different order...and one that is non-traditional, which leads to some of the confusion. If you are planning to apply to California for professional engineer licensure, you need to pass the appropriate national PE exam since California is a discipline-specific state.
  9. I just felt that it was important to point out that the questions on the exam, text or numerical, are not in any way intended to be confusing to the examinee. While sometimes, typos or errors occur, a large amount of effort is made to avoid causing any confusion to the examinees. Simply put, the psychometricians involved in the development wouldn't allow the question to be written that way. It's been my observation that the more confusing the question appears, the less experience the examinee has with the underlying concept. It is all about the experience and preparation leading up to the exam.
  10. JJ_structural, please email me at with your name and contact info so I can check on it.
  11. When you are provided with the information to schedule for the exam, I would suggest you call Prometric using the phone number provided, and request special accommodations. Be prepared to provide whatever medical records you have to support your request so Prometric can make the most appropriate decision as it relates to BPELSG requirements. If you are not satisfied with Prometric's decision, then AND ONLY THEN contact BPELSG seeking assistance.
  12. Hi robert.easylife, when approved candidates receive the email from Prometric providing instructions for how to schedule for the two California Civil Engineering exams, there will be included information for special accommodations that can be set up with Prometric in accordance with BPELSG's requirements. You will need to provide medical documentation to support your request so you might as well gather that information now. However, I will say at this point that the exam will not be provided on paper. What can be requested is additional examination time. I know that many, if not all, of the Prometric CBT centers have a station or two set aside for special accommodations so you may also want to inquire as to whether larger monitors are available or if the screen resolution can be set such that it is easier for you to read.
  13. 1. Based on the information stated at the top of Section 2 of the civil engineer application, I would suggest only listing the references and experience that is applicable to the license that you are applying for and which correspond with the included engagement/reference forms. In another manner of speaking, make sure that each engagement/reference form submitted is listed in the Section 2 summary. And then in the Remarks space at the bottom of the same page say something like "After graduation with MS until MM/DD/YYYY, I was employed by a construction project management firm and I'm not claiming engineering experience." It at least shows you were involved in a peripheral industry. 2. Based on what you stated, I would advise you to include all 18 months in one engagement under that supervisor in responsible charge and then the remaining 3 engagements can be for the same time period claiming 0 months with a different reference listed. And that reference would need to clarify relationship on their portion of the form such as 'Co-worker/Associate'
  14. SF94133, please email me at